This Guide Provided by:
Madeira Norte #312
13000 Gulf Boulevard,
Madeira Beach, Florida 33708
* Madeira Beach Area Restaurant Guide *
This is a guide for Restaurants in the Madeira Beach area we've tried while at our beachfront condo in the
Madeira Norte building on Madeira Beach, Florida, near Johns Pass. Our condo is available for rent by the week, so please click here on our
Madeira Norte condo's webpage to get more information.
General Tips on Local Restaurants:
- If you are staying at our condo in Madeira Norte you will find a three ring binder with menus for many of these restaurants in it, as well as evaluations left by other guests on their visits to those restaurants.
- Mileage given is from the Madeira Norte condo (which is 1/4 mile North of the John's Pass bridge) to the restaurant.
- Most local restaurants offer an "Early Bird" special, which is usually a menu of smaller lower priced meals that are offered only for diners seated by 6pm.
- Please check with a restaurant before going there to make sure they are open. Some close on a particular day of the week, or in their off season, or just simply have gone out of business.
- Though Florida law prohibits smoking in restaurants, some of the following establishments may be considered bars and fall outside that regulation. Also, smoking can be allowed in outdoor seating areas,
so be sure to ask their smoking policy before being seated in their outdoor dining area.
- Click on the underlined restaurant names to get to that restaurant's webpage.
Restaurants In John's Pass Village - Walking Distance from Madeira Norte!
John's Pass Village is a compact commercial area just across Gulf Blvd from Madeira Norte centered on a
boardwalk on John's Pass. It is filled with gift shops, restaurants, bars and boat rentals. Any part of it
is a very short walk from the condo, so it is best to leave your car at the condo
and walk over.
- Friendly Fisherman
- On the upper level of the boardwalk at John's Pass Village, just across the road from the condo. Mainly seafood. Very casual, simple sandwiches, moderate prices. Good views of John's Pass from all tables.
This restaurant was started by Mr. Hubbard, the first person to offer deep sea fishing in the area (50 yrs ago) and he later developed the John's Pass Boardwalk. If you go deep sea fishing on their boat,
The Friendly Fisherman, they will cook your fish and make a complete dinner out of it for $4.95. Inside or outside seating on the boardwalk. 150 John's Pass Boardwalk, Madeira Beach. (727) 391-6025.
- Bubba Gump Shrimp Company
- This chain restaurant is based on the movie "Forest Gump". We've enjoyed the fun, casual dining in the nautical them of a shrimp processing house, and being on the top level (3d floor) of this newest
section of the boardwalk that is closest to the beach, so there can be a great view of the Gulf and the new drawbridge over John's Pass depending on where you sit, either inside or on the deck.
185 Boardwalk Place, Madeira Beach. (727) 397-4867
- Waltz Fish Shak
- This is a true seafood restaurant which only serves fresh locally caught seafood - the limited menu is written on a chalkboard as it is different each day depending on which fish are available. Extremely casual,
no air conditioning, and varying hours. 224 Boardwalk Place, Madeira Beach. (727) 395-0732
- Casual waterfront dining inside or out typical of this chain. Located on the third floor, it has excellent views over Johns Pass. 197 Johns Pass Boardwalk West, Madeira Beach. (727) 797-4668
- Casual waterfront dining. We had a good meal here. Located on the second floor, it has excellent views over the docking harbor across from our condo and you can dine inside or out. This is a newer building,
and has an elevator to get to the second floor. Located diagonally across the street from Madeira Norte at 13205 Gulf Blvd. (727) 398-4103.
- Bamboo Beach Bar and Grill
- Indoor and outdoor dining with a casual menu, the claim to fame is that it has been in business over 60 years. Located
directly across the street from Madeira Norte at 13025 Gulf Blvd. (727) 398-5401.
- Thai-Am 2
- We've heard excellent reviews from people about this, though we haven't tried it because it is just not where our tastes are. They have
Thai, Sushi, Japanese and Vegetarian offerings, and are located directly across the street from Madeira Norte at 13037 Gulf Blvd. (727) 398-9700.
- DeLosa's Pizza
- Good thin crust, New York style pizza. Their brochure says they were voted one of the top five pizzerias in the Tampa Bay area, and we do enjoy their pizza.
It is easy to phone the order in, go pick it up and eat it while watching the sunset from the condo balconey. One large one item pizza for $12. 12800 Village Boulevard, John's Pass Village. 398-4657.
- The Hut
- The Hut is an open air casual restaurant and bar on John's Pass, on the level below the boardwalk. It is under Sculley's and owned by them. The views of the water aren't panoramic
because of being so low and having parts of the boat docks blocking the view, but it is open air and you are right on the water. The food is the usual mix of casual sandwiches and entries, and was very good.
Some of the seating is not covered, so it's subject to sun and rain, and they also have strong fans and misters for comfort, but if you're
too close they can be windy and wet. A live musician on the balcony over the bar provides entertainment. Upstairs from The Hut is their other restaurant, Sculley's, which is noted below. (727) 393-7749
- We've been to Sculley's restaurant a couple of times and found the service poor and
food average, though a number of guests at our condo have tried Sculley's and enjoyed it. Sculleys has a casual, rustic, nautical theme.
Sculley's is on the upper level of the John's Pass Boardwalk, directly on the water, and has good views.
Below Sculley's is their other restaurant, The Hut, which is noted above.
- Gators Cafe & Saloon
- This is on the other side of John's Pass (actually on Treasure Island), but right on the Pass at the bridge so it is an easy walk from the condo over the drawbridge. This is a very casual waterfront
sports bar more than a restaurant. They typically have a couple of bars open, have pool tables, and in the evening there's live music and dancing. They have a good selection of casual food at
moderate prices and great views of John's Pass since they are right on the water, much of this is on outside decks on multiple levels. They also have a dock if you come by boat. (727) 367-8951
- Addicted to the Bean
- For those that have to have their gourmet coffee, this is directly across the street at 152 129th Avenue West, on the corner of Gulf Blvd. (727) 399-1573
- Kilwin's - Ice cream and chocolates. 160 John's Pass Boardwalk, Madeira Beach. (727) 397-9800
- Hershey's Ice Cream - Near Sculley's on the upper level of the boardwalk.
- VFW Post 4256 - Directly across Gulf Blvd. from the condo.
- John's Pass Dining - This is the official John's Pass website, but the restaurant listings may not be all up to date,
so make sure you verify any of these before trying to visit them.
- Rusty Anchor Dockside Grill
- Julio's Crepery and Cafe
- Kingfish Restaurant/ Bojan's Harborside Grill
Restaurants On Madeira Beach
(no more than 3 miles from condo)
- Dockside Dave's Grill
- They are known for their 1/2 lb Grouper sandwich for $8.95, which some say is the best in Florida (including Southern Living Magazine)! Their newest location just up the street opened in 2007 at 14701 Gulf Blvd.
(727) 392-9399 The original location is on St. Pete Beach a little further away.
- Mario's Cucina Toscana
- This has been one of our favorites since we first visited in 2001. Italian food is excellent, the service is top notch, and the prices are moderate. The small restaurant has only 34 seats, not much atmosphere, but they
make up for that with great food and service. Mario and his son do all the cooking, and Mario himself sometimes bring out the meals. Pasta dishes start at $10 and veal and chicken dishes go up to $19. Kid's meals
are available. Since it is small, call to reserve a table. 14995 Gulf Boulevard, Madeira Beach, in the shopping center on the southeast corner of Gulf Blvd. and Welch causeway, 1.5 miles north of the condo. (727) 397-4971.
- The Candy Kitchen
- Just up the street from the condo, this place only serves candy and homemade ice cream. The kids love going there after dinner to pick from the racks of candy. 13711 Gulf Blvd, Madeira Beach, 0.7 miles north of Madeira Norte. (727) 392-6803
- Cordello's Pizza & Subs
- Next to the Candy Kitchen at 13713 Gulf Blvd. They have carryout and free delivery. Haven't tried them yet, but heard it was good. (727) 395-0052 and (727) 397-2661
- 1 block north of 150th St. (Welch Causeway) at 15229 Gulf Blvd. Pizza and Italian food in a very casual atmosphere. Good for carryout, which is available family style. (727) 397-6116
- Chain Sandwich shop. At 15031 Gulf Blvd., one block north of 150th St. (Welch Causeway) (727) 398-6798
- This one is on the mainland side of the causeway at the drawbridge. They have their own boat docks if you come by the intercoastal. Large windows overlook Boca Ciega Bay.
Restaurants South of Madeira Beach - (Treasure Island & St. Pete Beach)
- Daiquiri Deck - Closed
- Johnny Leverocks - Welch Causeway, Madeira Beach - closed 2005.
- Santa Madeira - closed June 2003 and torn down.
- The Apple Family Restaurant - closed
- Leatherbacks Steakhouse - closed
(1 to 8 miles south of Madeira Norte)
- Sloppy Joes
- Located in the Bilmar Hotel on Treasure Island. It has a nice contemporary island casual atmosphere designed after the historic "Sloppy Joe's" on Key West where Hemingway hung out. Good food and you can
sit inside or outside and overlook the beach. Live music inside some nights can be too loud, but outside on the deck it is perfect. 1.6 miles south of the condo at 10650 Gulf Blvd., Treasure Island. (727) 367-1600
- Caddy's Waterfront Bar & Grill
- Here is the only place we know where you can actually sit with your feet in the beach sand! It is very casual, with seating indoors, on the covered deck, or at picnic tables on the beach. Menu consists
of salads, sandwiches, seafood baskets and BBQ, most in the $6-$9 range. The food is OK, but the attraction here is being on the beach. Located at the southern end of Treasure island, at 9000 West Gulf Blvd,
which is the road to Sunset Beach, 2.6 miles south of Madeira Norte. (727) 360-4993
- Middle Grounds Grill
- A new upscale seafood restaurant on Treasure Island at 10925 Gulf Blvd. (727) 360-4253
- Sea Critters
- Sea Critters big draw is being able to dine on their back deck/boat dock and watch the boats on the Intercoastal. There is also dining inside if the weather isn't perfect. The kids can't wait to feed
the catfish that swarm around the docks after dinner with food scraps provided by your server. Good views of the Intercoastal, and you can dock your boat there. Casual dress and reasonable prices.
Located at 2007 Pass-A-Grill Way, St. Petersburg Beach, 1/2 mile south of the Don Cesar Hotel on St. Pete Beach. 7.4 miles south of our condo. (727) 360-3706
- Sea Hags Bar & Grill
- Good view, and right on the docks of the marina, though really not much view since it is at water level. In the marina on Blind Pass, which is between St.Pete Beach and Treasure Island. 9555 Blind Pass Rd. (727) 360-2800
- Silas Steakhouse
- Good food and interesting decor. In the middle of St. Petersburg Beach, on Gulf Blvd. Restaurant is named after a turn of the century homesteader that lived on Tiere Verde Island before it was
settled, and the decor is local antiques and collectibles based on Silas' life.
- Der Eisenhut
- In the old town center portion of St. Pete Beach. This is a real German/Eastern European restaurant, with real Germans running it. The decor is a little dated, looking a bit like it it was
put together from German garage sales. Food was excellent and prices moderate. Very good choice for a German restaurant experience. It is a small restaurant, so call before you go to see if reservations are needed.
In the off season, in European fashion, they close, so call ahead before going. 367 Corey Ave, St. Petersburg Beach. (727) 367-6495.
A family run restaurant with a large menu heavily influenced with Greek and Italian cuisine, as well as a little of everything else: sandwiches, burgers, salads, seafood and pizza. The food was very good,
but the atmosphere was nothing special. 5799 Gulf Blvd, St. Pete Beach 33706 (727) 360-1029
- StarLite Saphire Dining Yacht
- An inland waterway cruise while you have dinner and live music. Ship is docked at 3400 Pasadena Avenue, St. Petersburg. 727-462-2628
- McDonald's - 1.5 miles south of the condo on the left side of Gulf Blvd.
- Waffle House - On Gulf Blvd. in the middle of Treasure Island.
Don't bother with the following three!!
- Shells - All locations closed.
- Johnny Leverocks - Corey Ave. on St. Pete Beach closed.
- Jack's Stormwatch Bayside Restaurant - Closed
- Robbys Pancake House - Closed.
Restaurants North of Madeira Beach - (Reddington, Indian Shores, Indian Rocks)
- The Hurricane
- This restaurant has two floors of dining and a third floor bar, all overlooking a beautiful long stretch of Gulf Beach. Casual dining inside or out. We were satisfied on our first couple of visits, but our
last couple visits found mediocre food and lousy service, as have other guests, so this is off my recommended list. This is at the very end of St. Pete Beach, a mile or more past the Don Cesar. (727) 360-9558
- Philthy Phil's - Crowded, tight and no non-smoking area since it is mostly a bar. Noisy due to the crowding and the live 2 or 3 person band in the corner. The water is across the road and parking lot,
and cannot really be seen since the restaurant is on the ground. The smoke, noise and crowding made it an uncomfortable dinner. 678 75th Ave St. Pete Beach. (727) 367-9977
- Vito & Michaels - Back when smoking was allowed the management here was not the least bit interested in our comfort and satisfaction. Food OK, service mediocre, environment terrible. 7704 Blind Pass Road, St. Petersburg Beach. (727) 360-3658.
(3 to 10 miles north of Madeira Norte)
- The Salt Rock Grill
- A newer and somewhat contemporary restaurant. Excellent food. Though casual, it is a little trendier and more upscale and pricier than typical for the beach areas. Great views of the
Intercoastal. 5.7 miles north of the condo at 19325 Gulf Blvd, Indian Shores. (727) 593-7625
- Conch Republic Grill
- Casual island atmosphere, though a bit noisy for conversation. The food wasn't as good on our visit in 2005 as it was in 2004. Ceiling is painted like ocean and decorated so it looks like
you are underwater. Menu has everything from sandwiches at $6 to lobster at $22, with most entrees at $12 - $16. 3.1 miles north of the condo at 16699 Gulf Blvd, N. Redington Beach (727) 320-0536
- The Lobster Pot
- A formal and expensive restaurant that serves lobster every way imaginable. Very good, but a little more formal than I like when at the beach. 4 miles north of the condo at 17814 Gulf Blvd, Redington Shores.
- Guppy's on the Beach - Small restaurant with good food and some outdoor
seating. Casual and moderate to high pricing. 9.2 miles north at 1701 Gulf Blvd. in Indian Rocks Beach across Gulf Blvd. from the public beach.
- Located in Indian Shores, this is a large restaurant with good food. The prices are reasonable for the meal provided, but NO credit cards are accepted. 6.6 miles north at 19915 Gulf Boulevard, Indian Shores. (727) 595-4218
- Crabby Bill's
- On Gulf Boulevard, 8.2 miles north of the condo on Indian Rocks Beach. Mostly seafood with very casual atmosphere and low prices. Seating is at large picnic tables. Alot of the food is fried,
and though a very popular area chain, we did not find it appealing. This is the original of a handful of local Crabby Bill restaurants. 7.9 miles north of the condo. 401 Gulf Blvd, Indian Rocks Beach. (727) 595-4825
- La Vigna
- Haven't tried this one yet but it looked good and is not too far away. Cuisine described as rustic Italian. Dinners from $10.00 to $20.00. 4 miles north at 17807 Gulf Boulevard, Redington Shores. (727) 392-8001
- The Wine Cellar
- Fairly expensive and did not seemed oriented towards the kids, so we never tried it. It does look good though. 17307 Gulf Boulevard, North Redington Beach. (727) 393-3491
- The Pub Waterfront Restaurant
- We found the restaurant a little run down, and our server was poor. The food was good though, and they have a nice wide view over the intercoastal waterway
and plenty of boat docks. Outside is a really large deck, and that would have been the place to enjoy our meal. In a second visit we found it to be better, but not great. Prices
start with sandwich plates at $6.00 to full dinners up to $16.00. 6.9 miles north of Madeira Norte at 20025 Gulf Blvd., Indian Shores. (727) 595-3172
Restaurants On the Mainland near Madeira Beach
- Shells - The whole chain closed.
(4 to 10 miles away)
Martina's German Cuisine
- Excellent northern German food. We enjoyed spatzle, wiener schnitzel, authentic bratwurst and other German fare. It only has about 10 tables, so call ahead for a reservation.
About 5 miles from condo at 9277 Seminole Blvd, Seminole, a little north of Park Blvd. (727) 319-0082
- Good Italian food at this popular chain. 5 miles from condo at 3530 Tyrone Blvd. N. next to Sonny's Bar-B-Q.
- Sonny's Real Pit Bar-B-Q
- This southern chain has good barbeque, very casual and is good for carryout. They have restaurants all the way north into Tenessee, and it's always a big deal for the kids to stop on the way driving
down or back. We sometimes will visit this one close to the condo as well. 5 miles from condo at 3650 Tyrone Blvd, St. Pete. (727) 341-2990
- Good burgers and milkshakes in a diner atmosphere. 4.5 miles from the condo on Bay Pines Road, which becomes Tyrone Blvd.
Cody's Original Roadhouse
- Located at 7022 22nd Ave. north, St. Petersburg, across from the Tyrone mall in a strip shopping center. Very popular throw the peanuts on the floor steakhouse style restaurant. Good
food, casual and average prices. Kids eat free on Mondays and Tuesdays. (727) 345-1022
- Don Pablo's - 4.5 miles from the condo on Bay Pines Road, which becomes Tyrone Blvd.
- Roadhouse Grill - Located a couple of miles North of Madeira on Alternate 19 at Park Ave. Chain steakhouse.
- Crabby Bill's - Located 1/4 mile down Tyrone Blvd., across from Sonny's Bar-B-Q. Another of the popular area chain.
- Giordanos Famous Stuffed Pizza
- Giordanos is based in Chicago, but has a few restaurants in Florida. Their famous stuffed pizza is like a deep dish pizza but with another layer of crust inside. This is a long ways
from the condo, but it is only two blocks south of I-275 in downtown Tampa so it is convenient to visit on the way to or from Busch Gardens, or going in or out of town. It
takes a little more than 30 minutes to get there. 401 N. Dale Mabry, Tampa. (813) 872-5900
- Sam Seltzer's - Closed. Tyrone Blvd., St. Petersburg.
- Hops Bar and Grill- Closed. 8305 Bay Pines Road (Tyrone Blvd.), St. Petersburg.
Our personal list of favorites from the above choices:
Our taste is towards casual, kid friendly restaurants, and a water view. We also
try to stay away from the chain restaurants that we can eat at while at home up north!
- Sea Critters - good food and the kids are always captivated by feeding the fish off the dock.
- Dave's Dockside Grill - famous for the Grouper sandwich.
- Sloppy Joe's - good food, casual island atmosphere, and good beach views.
- Mario's Cucina Toscana - excellent italian food and service and just up the street!
- Caddy's on the Beach - very casual, simple food, and eating directly on the beach!
- Bubba Gumps - Haven't been there yet, but based on the expected view and our experiences at their other nationwide locations.
Call us at (614) 792-2593 to rent our beautiful corner gulf front
condo in the Madeira Norte building on Madeira Beach.
Other Helpful Links:
To contact us -
Please call us at (614) 792-2593 or at (614) 792-2523.
If we do not answer, please leave a message.
Last Modified: December 9, 2012